In his landmark project Before They Pass Away Jimmy Nelson captures the lives and traditions of the last surviving tribes who have managed to preserve their traditional ways and customs within our increasingly globalized world. The British photographer’s epic portraits present these dignified inheritors of noble and age-old traditions in a proud spirit and in all their glory—a unique visual experience. This exquisitely photographed showcase for world tribal culture is not only a joy to look at, but also an important historical record. This book reveals the wide variety of human experiences and cultural expressions across the ages— and we’re delighted to have it among our fall offerings.
This historic volume showcases tribal cultures around the world. With globalization, these societies are to be prized for their distinctive lifestyles, art and traditions. They live in close harmony with nature, now a rarity in our modern era. Jimmy Nelson not only presents us with stunning images of customs and artifacts, but also offers insightful portraits of people who are the guardians of a culture that they—and we—hope will be passed on to future generations in all its glory. Nelson’s large-plate field camera captures every intricate detail and fi ne nuance for posterity. What’s more, this splendid pageantry is set against a vivid backdrop of some of the world’s most pristine landscapes.
- This tribute to vibrant tribal cultures around the world is a must-have for any lover of documentary photograph
- Will resonate with readers on aesthetic, intellectual, and emotional levels—and be a keepsake for future generations
- The finely crafted leather-look slipcase with an inlaid photograph includes a portfolio with one of two hand-signed and numbered photo prints
- This international bestseller is now available in a special collector's edition whose premium features make it highly desirable for collectors and those who love Jimmy Nelson's photography
- Samburu, hand-signed and numbered photoprint, limited to 500 copies, c. 35 x 27 cm
- c. 424 pp., incl. 4 gatefolds, hardcover with jacket,
- slipcase, and portfolio with one of two hand-signed
- and numbered photoprints
- 402 color photographs
- Texts in English, German and French
- Format: 29x37 cm